English Teacher Training
Teaching English is an enjoyable and rewarding profession with opportunities for a lifelong career that you can pursue in countries all over the world.
NZLC is a Cambridge CELTA Training Centre as well as a Cambridge TKT Testing Centre accredited by Cambridge Assessment English. For more than twenty five years, we have offered a variety of teacher training courses for native and non-native speakers to become professional English teachers.
• TESOL – Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (At NZLC, we use TESOL to refer to a course for non-native speakers of English who want to teach in their home country)
• TECSOL – Teaching English to Child Speakers of Other Languages (At NZLC, we use TECSOL to refer to a course for non-native speakers of English who want to teach young learners in their home country)
• CELTA – Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (is an international recognized teacher training course that will give you the qualification you need to teach English to speakers of other languages in any country, both English and non-English speaking. CELTA is an initial TESOL qualification.
The terms “TESOL” and “TEFL” are used in different ways by different people and do not refer to specific courses and qualifications.
Here is some common terminology used in the TESOL/TEFL industry:
• ESL – English as a Second Language (has become an umbrella term for many different kinds of teaching contexts)
• ESOL – English for Speakers of Other Languages (which has largely replaced the term ESL in the UK)
• EFL – English as a Foreign Language (is less used nowadays and describes the study of English in the student’s home country, or for a limited period in an English-speaking country)
• TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Language