Travel and Medical Insurance
The NZ Government (NZQA) requires all international students to have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance for the duration of their enrolment at NZLC and for travel to and from New Zealand, regardless of the type of visa they hold. NZLC can only accept insurance which meets the requirements set out the latest New Zealand Qualification Authority (NZQA) Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2023. For more information, visit: www.nzqa.govt.nz.
An acceptable insurance policy includes:
• Covers travel to and from New Zealand and travel within New Zealand; and
• Medical care in New Zealand including diagnosis, prescription, surgery and hospitalization; and
• Repatriation or expatriation of the student as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting repatriation or expatriation; and|
• Death of the student, including cover of: 1. Travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand; and 2. Costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body; and 3. Funeral expenses
• You will be liable for expenses relating to a pre-existing condition that are not covered by your insurance.
• If you provide your own insurance, the insurance certificate and policy must be submitted to NZLC in English.
To avoid confusion, NZLC strongly recommends arranging a policy through NZLC prior to arrival in New Zealand.
Insurance will be arranged with an NZQA-compliant insurer such as Southern Cross www.southerncross.co.nz .
If the student’s own insurance policy does not meet the conditions outlined above, the student will be required to upgrade their policy or order one through NZLC, which can be requested at any time during the enrolment process or on arrival.
If travel/medical insurance is bought through NZLC, the insurance will be purchased 3 days before the student’s NZLC start date to cover the travel period. If a student is travelling to NZ more than 3 days before their NZLC start date, the student must inform NZLC in order to arrange an earlier cover date for the insurance.