Visa & Work Rights

Get the correct visa for your plan!

It is very important that you know which type of visa you will have before visiting NZ.  There are a few different visa options depending on your nationality, plans and length of stay in NZ.
The most common visas for NZLC students are Visitor Visas, Student Visas and Working Holiday Visas.


Visitor Visa

If you are from a visa-waiver country and want to stay in NZ for 3 months or less then you do not need to apply for the visa before you come to NZ. On this visa, you can study full time or part time and/or travel; however, you cannot work. It’s important to check if a pre-departure visa is required for your country.

Student Visa

The Student Visa is the most common type of visa that our students hold.  If the main purpose of your trip to NZ is to study and you want to stay more than 3 months, then the Student Visa is the option for you. On this visa, you must study full time.
NZLC is a Category 1 school so when you enrol for a minimum of 14 weeks in a full-time course on the Student Visa, you can get a 20 hour per week work permit.

Working Holiday Visa

Some countries have a Working Holiday agreement with New Zealand which means you can stay for 6-12 months working, studying and travelling in NZ. Some countries have a quota for this type of visa so you should check availability.