Host Family Provider
Established in 1984, NZLC is one of the largest ESL schools in New Zealand offering a wide range of quality English courses, a diverse nationality mix and great facilities. As a founding member of English New Zealand, NZLC is registered and audited by
NZQA and holds Category 1 status. NZLC was also the winner of the STM Star English Language School in the Southern Hemisphere in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018!
NZLC follows the NZQA Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice and provides students with a safe, friendly and supportive learning environment. Please see the latest version of the Code here: www.nzqa.govt.nz. All NZLC homestay families are expected to follow the provisions set out in the Code and any breaches of the Code may result in the termination of your contract with NZLC.
NZLC’s mission is to provide industry-leading English language education that will enrich lives and create pathways to new opportunities in New Zealand and beyond.
Who can become a Host Family?
We pride ourselves on offering our students not only a memorable study experience but also an incredible and unique New Zealand experience. Homestay families play an integral role in creating an unforgettable experience for our students. The NZLC Accommodation team will provide training, comprehensive manuals and regular updates for you. If you are interested in hosting international students for short term or for long term, and you meet the criteria below, please continue on to the “How to become a host family” section.
As a host family, you must be able to provide:
• A private and comfortable bedroom with window/s.
• Bed, bedding, towels, wardrobe, drawers, desk with a desk lamp or adequate lighting in the rooms.
• Heating of the student’s room during winter months (an extra blanket and a hot water bottle should be given to the student if you are unable to provide a heater or electric blanket).
• Weekly washing and drying of student’s laundry, linen and towels.
• Provide nutritious meals for breakfast and dinner from Mondays-Fridays and lunch over weekends and public holidays.
• Located within 60 min to NZLC (Auckland)/40 min to NZLC (Wellington) by public transport.
• Working fire alarms in the house and a first-aid kit.
• Proficiency in English. Please note that our students’ main purpose for being in New Zealand is to practice their English. Native-level English is required to host a student.
• Most importantly, a friendly and supportive English speaking family environment where each person is concerned with each other’s welfare and development, yet also respectful of each person’s privacy.
Manuals for NZLC Host Families
All families will need to be familiar with our NZLC Homestay Manual for Host Families Please read through this manual prior to submitting your application form. If you are considering hosting young learners who are under 18 years of age, please read through the NZLC Guidelines for Hosting Young Learners.
How to become a NZLC Host Family?
Step 1: If you meet all the above criteria, please complete the NZLC Homestay Application Form
Step 2: NZLC will assess your application
Step 3: NZLC will need to do a Police Clearance for anyone over the age of 18 that currently lives in the residence
Step 4: NZLC will arrange a home visit and reference check
Step 5: Once approved, NZLC will send you the “New Homestay Family Pack”