Earth Month is when we take time to give thanks to our environment and the natural world around us. New Zealand is famous for its clean, green culture and environment and we want to keep it that way!
To celebrate Earth Month, the NZLC staff members discussed ways in which we could reduce the amount of energy and paper used in administrative tasks and many solutions were made such as using double-sided paper and making printed documents only half their size.
We also held weekly fundraisers throughout April to help with the recovery on our neighbour island Vanuatu after they were hit by a huge cyclone last month. We sold English books that we were no longer using to our students for $1.00 or $2.00. We raised a lot of money and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Red Cross.
Finally, NZLC’s monthly calendar was also created to celebrate our environment. Our activities included paddle board, bush walks and bike rides.
So, how can you help to preserve our natural environment?
Here’s NZLC’s top 5 tips!
1. Don’t waste water
- Keep your showers short. You don’t need to be in the shower for more than 5-10 minutes
- Turn off the tap while you are brushing your teeth
2. Don’t litter
- Don’t drop small bits of rubbish in the street
- Tidy up after yourself
3. Save power
- Turn off the lights when you’re not using them
4. Be an eco-conscious shopper
- Look for locally grown, organic fruit and vegetables
- Don’t buy products that have been tested on animals
5. Reuse everyday items
- Take your own bags to the supermarket to avoid using a new, plastic bag every time
- Buy a good water bottle and fill it with water from the tap. Tap water is safe in NZ!