Click on the topic below to find out more information.

  1. Preliminary Info
  2. Course and Programme Info
  3. Homestay
  4. Activities at NZLC
  5. Renting in New Zealand
  6. Visas and Working in New Zealand
  7. Drinking Age in New Zealand
  8. Driving in New Zealand
  1. Preliminary Info

    Q: How do I apply to study at NZLC? What is the application process?

    A: The application process is very simple. You can fill out our online enrolment form here. We will then send you the invoice within 24 hours (except on weekends or public holidays). This invoice should be paid in full at least 4 weeks before your studies commence.  

    Q: How long before my course should I apply?

    A: Ideally you should apply and pay for your course at least 4 weeks before your studies commence. The earlier the better.  

    Q: If I apply for NZLC accommodation, when will I receive the details?

    A: Our accommodation department will send you accommodation details once full payment has been received and once your arrival and departure details have been confirmed.  

    Q: What do I need to bring with me to New Zealand?

    A: It is a good idea to arrive in New Zealand with some New Zealand dollars. $50 - $100 cash is sufficient in case you need to take public transport or make an emergency purchase.   Remember to bring a camera, a rain-coat or jacket and a mobile phone that is unlocked.  

    Q: Can  I use my mobile phone in New Zealand?

    A: Yes, if you buy a simcard when you arrive, you will be able to use your mobile phone. Make sure your mobile phone is unlocked before you leave your home country.  

    Q: What should I bring on my first day at school?

    A: You will need your passport, visa, insurance, $100 cash for your text book deposit (if applicable), pens and paper.  

    Q: What is the climate like in New Zealand? What clothes do I need to bring?

    A: New Zealand enjoys a mild climate. Summers (December – February) are warm and winters (June – August) are cool. Click here for average temperatures in Auckland and Wellington.   Auckland is known for having 4 seasons in one day – be prepared for sunshine and rain! Wellington is famous for its wind! It is a good idea to bring lots of layers, even if you are coming in the summer time. A jacket or light-wait rain coat is a good idea.  

    Q: Power voltage

    A: Electricity is supplied at 230 – 240 volts (50 herts). You will need an adapter/converter for any equipment that does not have this voltage. Power outlets take flat three or two-pin plugs.

  2. Course and Programme Info

    Q: Can I start my course any time?

    A: You can commence a General English course on any Monday. Our Academic Courses and Young Learner English + Activities programmes have specific start dates. Please check the course calendar for details.  

    Q: What time does school start and finish each day?

    A: School starts at 9am and finishes at 3.15pm Monday to Thursday. On Fridays, school finishes at 12.15pm for adult General English and Academic courses and at 3.15pm for Young Learner courses.   There is a morning tea break at 10.30am and a 1 hour lunch break at 12.15pm.    

    Q: What courses does NZLC offer?

    A: General English (Part-time and Full-time), Academic English (Full-time) including Cambridge Exam Courses (PET/FCE/CAE/BEC), IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC and Business English.

    NZLC has a English Teacher Training department, offering TESOL, TECSOL and CELTA courses.  

    Wellington currently offers two part-time courses (Pronunciation and Business English) that can be taken on top of your full-time NZLC course. These part-time courses run from 3.30 – 5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Check the course calendar for start dates.  

    Q: What about Young Learner Programmes?

    A: We run full time English courses for Young Learners (11-17 years) and an English + Activities programme during summer (December – February) and winter (June – August). See our course calendar for specific course dates.  

    Q: Does NZLC require a minimum number of students to open a class?

    A: Generally for Academic Courses, a minimum student number is required. However, in some cases we can arrange private tutoring. Please contact us regarding this.  

    Q: How long does each level last in a General English course?

    A: Each level typically lasts for 10 weeks. There is a test at the end of week 5 and 10. Depending on your results in week 5, you may move up to the next level.  

    Q. Does NZLC offer internship programmes?

    A: Yes, we arrange English + Internship programmes as well as Au pair and other work experience opportunities.  

    Q: Do you focus much on conversation in class?

    A: Classes at NZLC are designed to develop all four language skills: Listening, speaking, reading and writing. Morning classes focus on reading and writing while afternoon classes will give you the opportunity to put the grammar you have learnt into practice with speaking and listening.  

    Q: I am 16 or 17 years old. Can I join an adult class?

    A: Young Learner classes are for students aged 11 – 17 years old. However, 16 and 17 year olds may enter the adult General English course or an academic course. This will be at the discretion of the Academic Department. 

  3. Homestay

    Q: What kind of family will I be placed with?

    A: Remember that both Auckland and Wellington are multi-cultural cities with people from all over the world. A typical Kiwi family in Auckland may have Asian, European or a Polynesian background for example. All our families are carefully selected by our homestay department. They are located in safe neighbourhoods as close to the school as possible.  

    Q: Do the homestay families have rules?

    A: Yes. As in any household, each family has its own rules and they must be followed. For example, “No phone calls after 10pm” or “Dinner is served at 6.30pm; call if you will not be home”.  

    Q: How can I contact my homestay family when I stay with them?

    A: Text messages are a good way of keeping in touch with your Host family. It is polite to inform them if you are going to be home late or not coming home for dinner.  

    Q: How do I get to and from school? How far do I have to travel?

    A: All students staying in homestay take public transport by themselves going to and from school. Your host family will show you where how to take the bus. On average it takes between 30 and 45 mins to reach the school, depending on the exact location of the homestay’s house.  

    Q: Is it safe for a Young Learner (11 to 17 yrs. old) to take public transport to and from school?

    A: The host family will show you how to take the bus. Depending on the age of the student, the host family will accompany the student at least once on the bus.  Public transport is safe and it is not unusual for young children to take the bus in New Zealand. Both Auckland and Wellington rank at the top of the mercer survey for being the safest cities amoung English-speaking countries.  

    Q: Do the Homestay Families have internet?

    A: Yes, most of our families have broad-band internet and some will have Wi-Fi. Please be aware that the internet connection is much slower and expensive in New Zealand compared to other countries. It is strongly recommended that you buy a USB modem for your own laptop.   Please do not down-load music or movies. In New Zealand, if you down-load copy-righted material, you can be fined up to $15,000 under the Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Act 2011.    

    Q: What meals are included in the homestay?

    A: Half Board - the host family will provide breakfast and dinner during the week. During weekends and public holidays, breakfast, lunch and dinner will be provided. Full Board - the host family will provide 3 meals a day; packed lunches on school days. 

    Q: Are pets common in NZ?

    A: NZ is one of the countries in the world with the highest numbers of pets. Many families will have a dog, cat or both. If you prefer to be placed in a family without pets, you can specify this on the enrolment form. The NZLC homestay department will do their best to match all your requirements.  

    Q: Does NZLC offer city accommodation?

    A: Yes, we have a range of city apartment options available.

    Q: Can I change my homestay if I am feeling uncomfortable where I am?

    A: Yes. Talk to one of our hometay co-ordinators and explain your situation. You will have to wait approximately two weeks while we find a new family for you to live with. However, if it is an emergency, the change will be made immediately.  

    Q: Are there any costs to change my accommodation (homestay or city apartments)?

    A: Usually 2 weeks notice is required and there is a $200 arrangement fee involved if you wish to change homestay families or your city accommodation.  

    Q: Should a Young Learner have a professional caregiver?

    A: Young Learners can receive extra caregiver support, especially if the knowledge of English is very limited and it is the first time the student is away from home. This is optional and can be provided on a weekly basis for $90 per week.  This service can be provided for the first week of arrival or for the entire duration of the student’s course.

  4. Activities at NZLC

    Q: What kind of activities does NZLC offer?

    A: NZLC offers a range of cultural, social, tourist and sporting activities after school and on weekends. Click here to see our activities calendar for this month.  

    Q: Are these activities supervised by NZLC?

    A: Yes. All NZLC activities will have a school representative accompanying the group.  

    Q: How do I join the activities?

    A: All you need to do is book the activity beforehand and pay the entry fee, where applicable. The weekly activity calendar will indicate the meeting place and time. Check with the activity co-ordinator if you are not sure.  

    Q: Are the activities included in the price I pay for my course?

    A: Some activities are free of charge, while others may have an entry fee or transport fee. Check with the activity co-ordinator for details on specific activities.

  5. Renting in New Zealand

    Q: I want to find a flat (shared house), where do I look?

    A: The best website for flat hunting is Trademe. On this website you can select where you want to live and how much you want to pay per week.  

    Q: What is the average cost of renting in New Zealand?

    A: The average cost of renting a room near, or in, the city ranges from $150 - $250+ per week. Most flats require you to pay a bond (this is a deposit in case you cause any damage) and about 2 weeks rent in advance before you move into the flat. Tip: It is a good idea to take photos of your room and the flat before you move in. This way, you will have evidence of any pre-existing scratches or damage.

  6. Visas and Working in New Zealand

    Q: Do I need to apply for a visa? If so, how do I know which visa to apply for?

    A: Visa processes and procedures vary from country to country. Therefore we strongly recommend you contact your local New Zealand Embassy. We also suggest you visit the Immigration New Zealand website for more information.  

    Q: I want to work while I study, what kind of visa do I need?

    A: In New Zealand you may only work if you have a valid visa. You can work on the following visas: Work Permit, Working Holiday Visa or a Student Visa with a Variation of Conditions to work.

    To get the Variation of Conditions to work, you need to be enrolled in a course for six months or more and have an IELTS score of at least 5.0. Once approved, you may work for a maximum of 20 hours a week on this visa.

    More information can be found on Immigration New Zealand's website.

    Q: Where can I find out information on my work rights in New Zealand and rules for working on a student visa?

    A: As an international student in New Zealand you may be able to work up to 20 hours a week. But working in another country can be very different from working in your country. In New Zealand there are laws to protect all workers, and this includes international students. Find out more about your rights and responsibilities working in New Zealand at: www.nzstudywork.com

    Q: I hold a valid working visa, but where can I find a job?

    A: The best place to find a job in New Zealand is online: www.trademe.co.nz/jobs or www.seek.co.nz.

    The second best way is to make a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and visit restaurants, cafés, bars etc. and deliver your CV in person with a smile!

    The following website can help you create a CV: www.careers.govt.nz/tools/cv4me/  

    Q: I have found a job but I need an IRD number, how do I get one?

    A: Everyone earning an income requires an IRD number, this is a unique number issued to you by Inland Revenue (NZ's Tax Department). Your number will never change, even if you move to another country and then return to New Zealand sometime in the future. You can download the form to apply for an IRD number here.

  7. Drinking Age in New Zealand

    Q: I want to go a bar/pub, how old do I need to be and what kind of identification (ID) do I need?

    A: The legal drinking age in New Zealand is 18 years old. New Zealand Bars and Pubs only accept three types of ID: a valid passport, NZ driver's licence, or a HANZ 18+ card. If you do not have one of these forms of ID the bar/pub can refuse you entry (even if you are not drinking alcohol). Bars and Pubs are very strict, this is because they can receive a fine of up to $10,000 for breaking the rules. If you are going to be in NZ for a while it is a good idea to apply for a HANZ 18+ card so you can leave your passport safely at home. Find out how to apply for one here: www.hanz18plus.org.nz

  8. Driving in New Zealand

    Q: I want to visit New Zealand and I heard it is easy to rent a car to travel around. Do I need to get a New Zealand driver license?

    A: You need to meet a number of requirements to drive on New Zealand roads. Just like other drivers, you must have a current driver license from your home-country; but you will also need an approved translation or international driving permit if your license isn't in English.

    Q: What are the road rules in New Zealand?

    If you are studying in New Zealand and would like to drive or ride a motorbike here, we suggest that you take this quick free Road Code test online to check that you know the road rules.

Category Sub Navigation